STATE OF MINNESOTA IN DISTRICT COURT
COUNTY OF OTTER TAIL SEVENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT Court File No:
Jeremiah J. Weller and Kyle J. Vorderbruggen,
E. A. Rousu, Anna Stiina Rousu, also known as Anna Rousu, Viola Rousu, Wilfred Rousu, Edna Rousu, Edwin Rousu, Ernest Rousu, Jack Kampsula, Esther Kampsula, Michael Swenson, Elaine Hagel, Lydia M. Hagel, Blanche A. Anderson, Francis T. Wines, Susan K. Wines, John R. Weller, Ranell L. Weller, Otter Tail Power Company, also the unknown heirs of Merton D. Swenson, also known as Dennis Swenson, deceased, and the unknown heirs of any of the above named persons now deceased, also all other persons unknown claiming any right, title, estate, interest or lien in the real estate described in the Complaint herein.
THIS SUMMONS IS DIRECTED TO the above named Defendants.
1. YOU ARE BEING SUED. The Plaintiffs have started a lawsuit against you. The Plaintiffs’ Complaint against you is attached to this Summons. Do not throw these papers away. They are official papers that affect your rights. You must respond to this lawsuit even though it may not yet be filed with the Court and there may be no court file number on this Summons.
2. YOU MUST REPLY WITHIN 20 DAYS TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS. You must give or mail to the person who signed this summons a written response called an Answer within 20 days of the date on which you received this Summons. You must send a copy of your Answer to the person who signed this Summons located at:
Samuel D. Felix, Attorney at Law
450 West Main Street
Perham MN 56573
3. YOU MUST RESPOND TO EACH CLAIM. The Answer is your written response to the Plaintiffs’ Complaint. In your Answer you must state whether you agree or disagree with each paragraph of the Complaint. If you believe the Plaintiffs should not be given everything asked for in the Complaint, you must say so in your Answer.
4. YOU WILL LOSE YOUR CASE IF YOU DO NOT SEND A WRITTEN RESPONSE TO THE COMPLAINT TO THE PERSON WHO SIGNED THIS SUMMONS. If you do not answer within 20 days, you will lose this case. You will not get to tell your side of the story, and the Court may decide against you and award the Plaintiffs everything asked for in the Complaint. If you do not want to contest the claims stated in the Complaint, you do not need to respond. A default judgment can then be entered against you for the relief requested in the Complaint.
5. LEGAL ASSISTANCE. You may wish to get legal help from a lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer, the Court Administrator may have information about places where you can get legal assistance. Even if you cannot get legal help, you must still provide a written Answer to protect your rights or you may lose the case.
6. ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION. The parties may agree to or be ordered to participate in an alternative dispute resolution process under Rule 114 of the Minnesota General Rules of Practice. You must still send your written response to the Complaint even if you expect to use alternative means of resolving this dispute.
7. THIS LAWSUIT MAY AFFECT OR BRING INTO QUESTION TITLE TO REAL PROPERTY located in Otter Tail County, State of Minnesota, legally described as follows:
The North Half (N½) of Lot “A” of Block One (1), South Side Addition to New York Mills, Minnesota, according to the certified plat thereof on file and of record in the office of the County Recorder in and for Otter Tail County, Minnesota, described by metes and bounds as follows:
Beginning at the Northwest corner of said Lot “A”; thence South on and along the West line of said Lot “A” a distance of 145 feet, more or less, to a point that is halfway between the Northwest corner of said Lot “A” and the Southwest corner of said Lot “A”; thence East and parallel to the North line of said Lot “A” a distance of 300 feet, more or less, to a point on the East line of said Lot “A” that is halfway between the Northeast corner of said Lot “A” and the Southeast corner of said Lot “A”; thence North on and along the East line of Lot “A” a distance of 145 feet, more or less, to the Northeast corner of said Lot “A”; thence West on and along the North line of said Lot “A” a distance of 300 feet, more or less, to the point of beginning and there terminating.
The object of this action is to determine the title and adverse claims to the real property described above and to have Plaintiffs adjudged the owners thereof in fee simple. The Defendants will take notice that no personal claim is made herein against any of them.
Dated: September 13, 2023
KARKELA, HUNT & CHESHIRE, PLLP
By: Samuel D. Felix
450 West Main Street
Perham, MN 56573
Attorney Reg. No. 0397125
ATTORNEYS FOR PLAINTIFFS
Published October 4, October 11, October 18, 2023
INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 553
NEW YORK MILLS, OTTER TAIL & BECKER COUNTY, MN
REGULAR BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING
MONDAY, AUGUST 28, 2023
CALL TO ORDER BY THE PRESIDENT– at 5:00 pm.
ATTENDANCE & DETERMINATION OF A QUORUM- All School Board Members except Pederson and Schermerhorn, Ehnert (arrived late), Superintendent B. Novak, J. Brockway, M. Young-Lecoustre, M. Maki, and student representative M. O’Dea. Visitors J. Weller, L. Stroeing, J. Boe, A. Bauck, J. George, M. Brown, A. Sobieski, Z. Hocking, M. Bauck, L. Roberts-Veazie, C. Vandermay, T. Saewert, B. Weller, L. Kennedy, K. Wacker, A. Tervola Hultberg, B. Dunrud, D. Faysak, K. Wacker, D. Dykhoff and C. Koenen of the press.
SETTING THE AGENDA TO DETERMINE THE ORDERS OF THE DAY– Motion by Geiser, Second by Braukmann to approve the agenda as presented. Vote- u/c.
APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES- Motion by Braukmann, Second by Mursu to approve the 7/24/23 Regular Meeting minutes. Vote- u/c.
BUSINESS AFFAIRS AND APPROVAL OF BILLS- Motion by Braukmann, Second by Geiser to pay the Monthly Financial Claims per fund and the approved Electronic Fund Transfers for Minnesota State Withholding deposits and FICA/PERA/TRA/Annuity deposits. Vote- u/c.
STAFF PRESENTATIONS- Introduction of new teachers. Vaping Project by T. Saewert.
REPORTS- Business Office-Ehlers Debt Refunding Analysis, Audit presentation will be in October; Administrative Report: Superintendent- Summer projects, workshops, legislation update; HS Principal-Truancy workshop, beginning of year orientations, Day of Caring, Homecoming Oct 9-13; Elementary Principal- Summer wrap up, back to school items and beginning of year.
CONSENT ITEMS- Motion by Braukmann, Second by Ehnert to approve the consent agenda as follows: CONTRACTS- INTERQUEST CANINE DETECTION, CATERING AGREEMENT WITH TRINITY PRESCHOOL, PARTNERSHIP 4 HEALTH and FOSTER CARE TRANSPORTATION AGREEMENT. DONATIONS-NYM Lions Club $1500 to youth football, Perham Health/Sanford $500 to volleyball program. Vote- u/c.
OUT OF DISTRICT BUS REQUESTS- Motion by Braukmann, Second by Geiser to approve the out of district transportation requests. Vote- u/c.
BUS ROUTES FOR 2023-2024– Motion by Ehnert, Second by Braukmann to approve the bus routes for the 2023-2024 school year subject to any necessary revisions. Vote- u/c.
PERSONNEL CONSENT ITEMS- Motion by Braukmann, Second by Geiser to approve the Personnel Consent Agenda as follows: APPOINTMENTS- Marissa Witt After School Child Care; Kenna Salo Volunteer (paid by Booster Club) Volleyball Coach; Stacy Westman Paraprofessional; Kaylee Yoder Paraprofessional; Brenda Reese Paraprofesional; Selena Warner Paraprofessional; Zach Hocking Assistant Varsity Football Coach; Jordan Folkestad Football Coach Volunteer; Carolyn Brooks Kitchen Helper; John Lueders Bus Driver; Dawn Lueders Bus Driver; Jeff Rimpala Bus Driver. RESIGNATIONS- Bryan Dunrud Assistant Varsity Football Coach; Creedan Dunrud Paraprofessional; Stephney Maloney Paraprofessional. CONTRACT CHANGES Julie Peterson Part-time supervisor to full-time supervisor. LANE CHANGE REQUEST– Trina Saewert MA +10 to MA +20, Angie Paavola MA +10 to MA +20, Bridget Weller MA +10 to MA +20, Tammy Olson MA +10 to MA +20, Jeremiah Weller MA +10 to MA +20. STAFF ASSIGNMENTS- Extracurricular Assignments 2023- 2024 Coaching Roster.
ADJOURNMENT– Motion by Geiser, Second by Ehnert to adjourn at 5:35 pm. Vote- u/c.
Kristina Ehnert, Vice Chair
Independent School District #553
Published October 4, 2023