Ask A Trooper

Sgt. Jesse Grabow

Question: I noticed another vehicle that was not driving very safe the other day and saw that it had a “How’s My Driving? Call 1-800…” Should I called that number or what else should I have done?

Answer: Every circumstance or situation is different. But here is my advice on when to report something to the authorities. You should call 911 if you see a road hazard that could result in a crash or harm someone. If you witness any unsafe driving conduct that could result in a crash, or for someone who may need help. If it is something else or after the matter of calling 911, you could still call the number listed on that vehicle. 

If you’re calling 911, the dispatcher will ask you some routine questions, including: 

• What is your emergency?

• What is your location and direction of travel?

• What is the vehicle and driver description including the license plate information, make, model and color of the vehicle? 

If you are following the vehicle as part of traffic, the dispatcher might keep you on the line to provide real time location updates that will help law enforcement get the correct vehicle stopped in a timely manner.

A portion of state statutes were used with permission from the Office of the Revisor of Statutes. If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Trp. Jesse Grabow – Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205.