Ask A Trooper

Sgt. Jesse Grabow

Question: I have a question in regards to exploring a business idea that has to do with mobile advertising, such as an illuminated board advertising business. I am concerned about the visual distraction for drivers and was wondering if this was allowed.

  Answer: Moving or parked mobile advertising signs that display lights on the highway are not allowed. That would also include within the right of way. Lighted advertising outside the right of way but near a highway may have some limitations so you may want to contact the highway department that oversees that type of roadway, which will be either the state, county or city.

  A portion of state statutes were used with permission from the Office of the Revisor of Statutes. If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Trp. Jesse Grabow – Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205.  (You can follow him on Twitter @MSPPIO_NW or reach him at,