Ask A Trooper

Sgt. Jesse Grabow

Question: I am applying for a new job that will have questions about my driving record. Can I visit with someone from Law Enforcement to get a copy of that?

  Answer: No, this is not something that Law Enforcement agencies can provide.

  If you want to know what employers and insurers see, the Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) division has made it easier than ever to get a copy of either your certified or noncertified record. A certified driving record includes your entire driving history in Minnesota. A noncertified record shows a five-year history of driver convictions. You can now use the online record request to get your records.

Here’s how it works:

• Visit and select Sign Up in the login panel to create a MyDVS account.

• You’ll need to request a MyDVS Registration Letter to create your account. This letter is mailed to the address on file with DVS and contains the unique Letter ID you’ll need to create your account.

• Once you receive the Registration Letter, complete the sign up to create your MyDVS login.

• After you login, you can purchase your Driving History Record through the MyDVS portal.

What you need:

• Your Minnesota driver’s license number.

• Your Social Security Number.

• Checking or savings bank account to submit payment.

• A printer if you’d like a paper copy of the record.

• If your driving privileges are not valid, you will need to use the Driver’s License Status Lookup at to view reinstatement requirements.

  You cannot get a copy of someone else’s driving record online, only your own. Customers who want a copy of someone else’s record and are legally entitled to the information, need to complete a DVS Records Request form, available at DVS Documents, Manuals and Forms and either mail it to DVS or visit the DVS office in downtown St. Paul.

A portion of state statutes were used with permission from the Office of the Revisor of Statutes. If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Trp. Jesse Grabow – Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205.  (You can follow him on Twitter @MSPPIO_NW or reach him at,