Ask A Trooper

Sgt. Jesse Grabow

Question: I have a question about people who are driving for food deliveries and ride-hailing app services using their personal vehicle. Are they supposed to have commercial insurance or any other special type of insurance? Back in the ‘80s, I was working as an owner/operator using my personal vehicle and was told that I needed commercial insurance.

  Answer: Minnesota requires that every vehicle on a public road or street has auto insurance. Under most circumstances, a licensed vehicle in the state of Minnesota must have liability, personal injury protection, uninsured motorist and underinsured motorist coverage.

  Some vehicles, such as those for commercial use and limousines, have other requirement that are above the minimum standards for a personal vehicle.

  Drivers should contact their insurance agent to talk about the proper auto insurance coverage. It is also a good idea to talk to your agent about coverage when renting a vehicle, loaning out your vehicle or borrowing someone else’s vehicle.

  The proof of insurance card or electronic format should include:

• The insured’s name.

• The policy number.

• The policy dates of coverage.

• The make, model, and year of the vehicle being covered.

• The vehicle identification number or at least the last three digits of that number.

• The name of the obligor providing coverage.

  A portion of state statutes were used with permission from the Office of the Revisor of Statutes. If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota, send your questions to Trp. Jesse Grabow – Minnesota State Patrol at 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205.  (You can follow him on Twitter @MSPPIO_NW or reach him at,